Anyways, let’s just compare some sites in the new and so called Ambitious Browser – Microsoft Internet Explorer 9
1. I begin with my very own blog. I recently embedded one of my favorite font (Titillium) as one of the best CSS3 feature. And i’m disappointed with IE9’s output. Look here.
2. Now I went to some experiments in CSS3 in six revisions and surprisingly none of them works.
3. One of the CSS experiments that has been so cool is a CSS CUBE which is here http://weblab.walliecreation.com/cube/index.html. And again it’s all messed up in IE9. You can clearly see the difference
4. Ok, been talking all issues with Display rendering and CSS3 rendering capability but then again to come closer to Firefox for debugging IE 9’s developer tool (which hasn’t quite improved since IE8) needs to be lot more robust. I have to admit, it’s a big step, but not quite there yet. Here’s how it looks.
5. The UI is not competitive at all. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or even Maxthon has gone quite far. IE9 has failed to come beating even any of them.
There will be much more if i go on and on and i’m sure it will not stand stronger than the other favorite ones. So the bottom line is – “Why release a major version without not having latest competitive features ?” We, the developers have to work a lot more just to make our sites compatible with IE. Now that we’re not considering IE6’s compatibility officially, who knows how many more lines we have to add to make our CSS close to others.
There used be days (around 1998-2005) where I liked IE more than Netscape, Opera. It was so difficult even to make table layouts well in Netscape Navigator which IE (ver 4 and 5 at that time) was doing much and much better. But to hold the reputation it needed more effort and respect the other browser’s features. Microsoft failed very badly in the browser war.
Last comment i would want to make is that overall, I’m not impressed at all with these release. It’s still beta but will not likely to solve all those glitches that i showed above in the next stable version.
Once again, my default browser is Chrome and Firefox.