I just realized that I spend more time with Notepad++ than my wife :). Well, it’s nothing new for a full time programmer. So why not make my code editor comfortable for me. I have to stare the editor more than 9-10hrs a day. So a huge pressure on eyes. For a long term perspective, i must take care of the eye. The screen distance, the radiation, frequecny- everything must be taken seriously.
My favorite code editor is notepad++. It’s lightweight, sleek and has very good options to code PHP, JS, HTML. The default installation comes with a white background as most others do. But let me show how my code window looks.
I feel more comfortable reading these colored texts on a black and it helps me work more. And actually the radiation from a black screen is obviously less from a white screen. So in the long run, it’s helpful for our eyes.
How to do it in Windows ?
Download Notepad++ if you don’t have it from http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
On that page find a section called "Style files" and you’ll see two styles there which are
- Download any of them and save the zip file somewhere (possibly on your desktop).
- Now unzipping that archive will let you find a file called stylers.xml. Copy this file (CTRL+C).
- Now type %appdata% in your run panel in start menu. Your application data directory will show up.
- And now find the folder called notepad++ and paste that xml file which you have just copied.
- Restart notepad++ and there you go!!